The First Egg

The First Egg

November 15, 2020


(Hamilton's first egg in a nesting box!)

We've had our chickens for a few months now, and they still hadn't started laying eggs yet. We'd been waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Still nothing. Finally, the moment came: Hamilton laid the first egg.

Last Friday, Hamilton was sitting in the nesting boxes for the entirety of the afternoon. I suspected she was practicing for the big moment. Come to think of it, she was showing all the signs of a soon-to-be egg event: Hamilton squatted whenever I came up to her, her comb and wattles had turned into a deep shade of red, and she was frequently spending time in the nesting boxes. 

When I came later that day to check on the chickens, I peeked through the window, and saw Hamilton in a nesting box, and all the other chickens were watching her. When they saw me peeking through the little window, they all filed out of the coop. All except for Hamilton. Then, it caught my eye: In the nesting box opposite to Hamilton was a tiny egg. 

I opened the lid of the nesting boxes, and unlike the other chickens, she sat still. I'm assuming she didn't want to leave the egg. I reached inside, and picked up a small, pink-brown egg. I ran squealing into the house, and once the rest of my family saw the egg, they started squealing too! After the commotion died down, we dashed out of the house to shower dear Hamilton with treats and hugs. 

Since that very day, Hamilton has laid an additional 5 eggs. We also found a fertilization spot on one of the eggs, so I'm guessing Hamilton and Lafayette "did the deed". Oh the joy of discovering an egg in a nesting box! The magical feeling never goes away. 

Comments

  1. At Roost & Root, we provide only the highest quality Chicken Coops. Since our coops are all custom built. We can build coops that blend in naturally with the surroundings or make them fun and fanciful. It’s all up to you! Standard construction, expert craftsmanship, and superior customer service are our main goals. We strive for happy owners and of course, happy hens!

    Walk-In Style Chicken Coops
    backyard chicken coops
    Chicken Coops and Accessories
    Modular Raised Garden Beds
    Slant-Roof Greenhouse
    Chicken Coops with Runs
    Luxury Chicken Coops
    Cedar Chicken Coops
    round top duck coop
    Walk-In Style Chicken Coops

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know, I've thought about writing a book...but for now, I will stick to my blog.
    Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lafayette ~ From Runt To Rooster

The Great Eggscape

My Independent Science Experiment 2021