A Memoir To Lafayette

 A Memoir To Lafayette

November 21, 2021


(Our last memories made with Laffy!)


I'm once again so grieved as I write this. As you know, our area is not zoned for roosters, so we had been soundproofing the coop in the mornings so that the neighbors would not hear Lafayette. However, the neighbors had their satisfaction- Lafayette is with us no longer, we had to rehome him.


For awhile now, our new neighbors had been complaining over and over about Laffy- even once saying they wanted to kill him! Finally, after a final complaint, our family decided to rehome him. On the morning of November 20, 2021, I spent my last waking hours with Laffy, feeding him treats, playing with him, letting him roam around one last time with his ladies. We eventually packed him up into the car and drove an hour to a farm (if you could call it that, the place was kind of inhumane, and some guinea fowl were mating with the chickens!) where we gave him away. We said our goodbyes, and Lafayette crowed a final crow.


Lafayette was the best rooster I could ever ask for. He never ever pecked me, and was always so gentle to us and his ladies. Laffy was the one who kept Washington going through the months she was with us. He was the one who defended her all the time. He never once backed down in the face of danger- he growled in the face of danger! There was once a time where a stray cat snuck out to the chickens while they were free ranging, and Lafayette stood his guard. He growled at the cat until I came out and shooed away the cat. There are so many other memories I could tell you of our brave Laffy and how wonderful he was, but they would probably cross the post word limit, so I will tell you this: Over fifty incredible years at the heart of the Age of Revolution, the real-life Lafayette fought with Alexander Hamilton on both sides of the Atlantic and was one of the most famous heroes in history. Our Lafayette is just that.


Here is a poem I wrote for Lafayette (The 1st part is addressed to the neighbors, the 2nd part is for Laffy):

"I don't know what it's like to lose sleep over crows, 

but I do know what it's like to be the owner of that roo,

I told him I loved him

But I'm a witness to this, it kills

They say pain is a prison, let me out of my cell,

You say you're my neighbor but you clearly don't know me that well,

Sitting in my room, tears running down my face and I yell,

Can't you let me watch my baby grow?

I guess your sleep is more important, all you have to say is no,

But you won't do it will you? You'll keep complaining till it kills you,

I got a picture on my screen and it hurts me 

But I don't need a picture of Laffy, I need the real thing, 

Now my rooster is someone I'll never have

But why do I feel like I lost something I never had?

You say he's annoying but I'm not laughing,

At what you don't realize and what you're not grasping,

That I was nothing but a kid who couldn't understand it, you line I'm not going to say I forgive you cuz it hasn't happened,

I thought I'd maybe you feel better as time passes,

If you really cared then where you at then?

A couple weeks later he'll be singing a different tune, 

You've hurt me for the last time haven’t you?

You took him from me once, guess you’ll come back to finish me,

Crying my eyes out in this room is difficult,

Writing is the only place I can go and speak to you,

It took everything inside me not to scream at you, 

Sitting here thinking you're pitiful,

I wish you would disappear but every time I picture you, 

all I feel is pain, I hate the way I remember you,

Don't know if you hear me or not, but if you can, why?

The struggles I face from day to day, 

Are the struggles that won't seem to fade away,

I'm struggling with loss, pain, anxiety too,

But most of all I struggle from hating you,

Time will heal so they say,

So I watch the clock as time fades away,

Goodbye Laffy I had to say,

A few days ago on an autumn day,

I'll remember the good times and try not to be sad,

But still saying goodbye hurts so bad,

I miss you more that I can express,

My love for you will never grow less,

I keep trying to imagine how I will go on,

I realize tomorrow will come another dawn,

I'll remember you each and every day,

And if I ever need to talk to you,

I'll just sit down and pray,

One day we'll be together again,

To talk about all the places we've been,

Until the time I'll always treasure,

Having you for a rooster was my greatest pleasure,

I wish I didn't have to leave your side,

Although I don't want to see you go, I have to say goodbye,

Could you imagine the pain is so deep down inside,

That it cannot be summarized in words you simply write?

A pain that touches your toes and up to the top of the ceiling,

You can't eat, you can't sleep, that is the pain I am feeling,

I will never have a rooster like you again,

My heart is a vault, now I'm scared to let people in,

No matter how many oceans and rivers I cry, my heart will never let you go, I'll never fully say goodbye.

I wish you were here Laffy..."

   

Currently, I am working on filing an ordinance for the city council to change the law, so that male poultry will be legal in my county. (And also so that if the neighbors complain, I can tell them to eat rocks :) If my plan succeeds, then who knows, maybe I'll buy Lafayette back someday.

I'll never forget you Laffy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lafayette ~ From Runt To Rooster

The Great Eggscape

My Independent Science Experiment 2021