A Year In Memory: Washington

 A Year In Memory: Washington

December 19, 2021


(Washington's gravesite.)


It has been officially one year since beloved Washington passed away. I still miss her so much and the pain is still there. I think about how if she was still alive, she would be a grown-up mature hen, not a shy, tiny pullet with a quiet chirp. She still inspires me to push on and be a trooper, just like she was. I was talking with a friend on the anniversary of Washington's death, and she asked me to share some of the memories with her, and doing so helped me with the sadness, so I'll share one memory with you:

There was once a time where Washington was really injured and we needed to keep her inside until she healed. (The hens really took it out on her!) We kept her in a spare bathroom in a kennel, but I totally forgot to close the door. She walked out and roamed around the house for a few hours. I come in after school and I see her walking around the hall with a trail of droppings behind her and I freak out. I never forgot to close the door again. :)


Here is a little something I wrote for you Washington:

"Since the day I saw you,

since the day we met,

I knew this I wouldn't forget.

I loved you more than life itself,

No matter how much it hurt,

I sat and watched you get worse.

I kept watch all through the night,

And I held you tight,

Why did you have to go away

and leave me with a broken heart?

I prayed and prayed that you would stay,

why did you have to go away?

Now every day is dark and grey,

I never thought we'd be apart,

Why did you have to go away

and leave me with a broken heart?`

You are up in heaven now

The earth was not your place.

I guess God needed you more that I did, 

but I can still picture your face,

So as I grieve and wait

To see you once again,

But I know you're waiting for me

While you're up in heaven."


I miss you Washington.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lafayette ~ From Runt To Rooster

The Great Eggscape

My Independent Science Experiment 2021