And Then There Was One

And Then There Was One

April 3, 2022


(The last one cockerel left.)


It seems as though the losses never end. Three of our chicks are in a better place now.


As you know, we started our chick-hatching journey with 7 eggs. Two eggs never hatched, but the other 5 did. One newborn unexpectedly passed right after birth, leaving us with 4 baby chicks. 

On March 30th, we woke up to find 3 of the chicks gone and a trail of blood and feathers through our backyard. Amazingly, one of the chicks was spared.

A few days before the tragic incident, we had to move the chicks' coop a couple a feet away from where it was. Apparently, the hardware cloth had ripped and either the chicks got out, or something else got in and claimed the lives of our precious babies.

We intended on selling some of the chicks and purposefully didn't get too attached to them or name them, so thankfully it doesn't hurt as much as it could have, but it is still is a lot to take in.

I am so blessed to have the last cockerel remaining...he is the last of what we have left of Laffy...however we may have to sell him.


Here's a poem I wrote for the chicks:

"Since the day I met you, 

since the day you were born, 

I knew I wouldn't forget, 

I loved you more than life itself

I wake up and you are no longer here, 

I miss you and hold you very dear,

I miss our moments together, 

I treasured each memory, 

You left with the key to my heart, 

your lives live on in me

If only I had wings, 

I'd fly toward those stars, 

and knock on Heaven's door,

I'm sure that's where you are

Just to hear your little chirps, 

just to see your feathers shine, 

just to hold you again, 

I would run a million miles

You'll always be a part of me,

for love never fades with time,

I know in my darkest hours,

your light will always shine,

the dead will never be dead to me,

for I will always remember them through time."


I'll miss you guys, and I'll always remember you and all the happy memories we had together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lafayette ~ From Runt To Rooster

The Great Eggscape

My Independent Science Experiment 2021