A Memoir To Angelica

A Memoir To Angelica

August 14, 2022


(Angelica's gravesite.)


It was so sudden. We don't know how it happened, but dear Buff Orpington Angelica is not with us anymore. She's joined Washington a better place now.


On the morning of August 7, 2022, Angelica passed away on floor of the run. We found her later in the afternoon. There was no animal, no symptoms, no sign to tell us she was going to pass. She was so happy here, I wish I knew what killed her. The day before she died, I had one last chance to hold her and talk to her, and I'm so glad I did. I'll never forget that evening, especially because Angelica pooped on my shoes!


Angelica was the sweetest hen to ever live. From the day we brought her home, she was the most happiest and had the most personality of the whole flock. She loved taking taking treats from our hands, always running over as soon as she heard us taking out the mealworm jar, and followed us around everywhere. Sometimes she was a bit harsh with her babies or new additions to the flock but she was a very sweet mamma. Angelica was our go-to when a friend came over and wanted to hold a chicken. She was always the most calm when it came to being held. Angelica was also the biggest hen, probably because of the amount of food she ate! 


Here is a poem my brother wrote for Angelica:

"I once had a chicken, who was friendly and fat,

Her name was Angelica, let me tell you about that.

Angelica was Abigail's chicken, she was sweet and cute,

And she couldn't speak English but she was a hoot!

Sometimes she would poop on Abigail's shoes,

And the backyard was always covered in her doo-doos.

Angelica loved to eat, that's why she was so fat,

And her favorite food was mealworms, in fact.

But the thing she loved most, more than food of any kind, 

Was the love she had for Abigail, and that is what you'll find."


Here is a poem I wrote for Angelica converted from a song I heard:

"Woke up cause the light poured in,

Day two, let the flood begin,

Day one left me in my bed,

I can barely remember it

Heart shattered in a thousand ways,

They tell me pain's gonna come in waves,

They tell me I'm gonna be okay,

Still waiting for myself to break

Why would You give and then take her away?

Suddenly end, could you not let it fade?

What I would give for a couple of days

I wanna wake up to your cluck or two,

Catch you when you poop in my shoes,

Say "good morning", "afternoon",

Share and pour my heart to you

Did she see You from a long way off?

Running to her with a Father's heart?

Did You wrap her up inside your arms

And let her know she's home?

Is it just across the Jordan,

Or a city in the stars,

Are you singing with the angels?

Are you happy where you are?

Well until this show is over,

And you've run into my arms, 

God has you in heaven,

But I have you in my heart

2 years makes a hen full grown

2 years what a beautiful loan

2 years she loved everyone

Thank you Lord for my beautiful hen."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lafayette ~ From Runt To Rooster

The Great Eggscape

My Independent Science Experiment 2021